Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Vocatus 

As I sit in the workshop listening to the latest news about the state of Florida and its war on higher education, I find my heart aching, my head spinning. The General Education Plan will be cut from 36 hours to 30. Universities will require the providing programs to duke it out among themselves to see which one among the many providing GEP social and cultural foundations classes will get the designated class all students will be required to take and then squabble over the scraps left for the other allotted class.

What that means is that the classes I have relied upon to provide me a guaranteed place on our faculty (as guaranteed as annual appointment instructors can be) are no longer a sure bet. Just as Marx predicted, the workers have been turned against each other to fight over decreasing resources. And that war as already begun.

From deep inside, that small, still voice whispers to me, as it always does. "To what is my life calling me now? And how will I know?" it says. 

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

The Rev. Harry Scott Coverston, J.D., Ph.D.
Member, Florida Bar (inactive status)
Priest, Episcopal Church (Dio. of El Camino Real, CA)
Instructor: Humanities, Religion, Philosophy of Law
University of Central Florida, Orlando

 If the unexamined life is not worth living, surely an unexamined belief system,
             be it religious or political, is not worth holding.
Most things of value do not lend themselves to production in sound bytes.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

No comments: